Monday, June 20, 2011

The Ten Best things about living in San Francisco

1. The People- They don't judge your sexuality, income, ethnic background etc. They have a very " you are a human? me too" kind of vibe.
2. Lands End- Fantastic place to get lost in the woods . The trail winds around and drops off into the pacific. You can also stumble upon a labrynth and a panaromanic view of the golden gate bridge.
3. The Slanted Door- A pricy but fantastic restaraunt that has a to die for yellowtail hamachi appetizer, a view of the bay bridge , and the best coffee in the city ( in a restaurant). Also several perfectly acceptable choices of cabernet.
4. Philz Coffee- Each cup made to order, drip style with a mint leaf. Fantastic. It will kick your butt into gear on a Sunday morning.
5. A plethora of asian food. ( Dim sum in the richmond or of course a-la-cart in china town), Sushi boats on geary , great thai , vietnamese food galore. It's delicious and everywhere.
6. The Bart train. I love the bart train...take it to the east bay! Stare out the window and listen to your ipod and say hi to some pink mohawk stranger. It's fun!
7. The Westfield Shopping Center. Yes you get lost in there...but its delicious. Christmas decorations at bloomingdales...pastries on the bottom floor...the lancome counter at nordstroms and of course H and M.
8. Noc Noc in the lower haight- The owner ramat will remember your name . This tiny semi-dive looks like a plane crashed into it. From hipsters to nerds its never a dull moment.
9. The F train- Cruise to the embarcadaro or to the castro in the old timey style train up and down market. It's slow but lovely.
10. The crackhead playing a broken violin in the civic center muni station. He has all of his charts and by god he is positive that he is really playing that strange red broken violin. He is a fine example of dedication to your craft ( albeit slightly drug induced and not quite the philharmonic).

Oh forgive me I need a number 11...and 12

11.ART!!! the russian symphony. The ODC dance troupe. The opera house. The asian art museum. The contemporary jewish museum. I love it all. It fills me up like the kaleidescope art nerd that I am.
12. The San Francisco Main Public Library. It is magical. Several stories of everything you could possibly need...including media options such as DVDS , Audio books and music. It has a magnificent kids area and it is also quite lovely ( it's feature in the movie City of Angels).
I love you san francisco. I will miss you and I am sure one day return but for now I must be true to my gypsy nature and board a plane to indonesia...thailand..alabama and then who knows.

But you always have my heart and as I said to the pacific yesterday...." Even though I will spend time with other oceans, You're my favorite girl".

No comments:

Post a Comment